Saturday, March 10, 2007

Atheism

I recently listened to an audio book of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion. I've been an atheist for about two years now, ever since I took a class on Biological Anthropology, where I found out that everyone who ever told me that there is no evidence to support the theory of evolution was either lying or wrong.

Before reading this book though, I'd never heard anyone argue so adamantly for the non-existence of god or the veracity of evolution. I found the concept interesting, and the book engaging. Even before I became atheitized, I despised religion, mostly because of the misery and sheer stupidity it has wrought on the world. In Dawkins, I found someone else who felt the same way. For me, that is a bit strange, as even the few non-believers I know refuse to take a stance against belief.

However, I do find that Dawkins is a bit mean spirited at times, and I can't help but feel a bit awkward associating my own thoughts with his. But, quite possibly, I sound just as angry and cruel to those who don't share my views, and a few that do. It can be very irritating to be told that I'm being "culturally insensitive," when I talk about how I can't stand Christian beliefs and the silly rituals that go along with those beliefs.

Honestly, that may be true. But I was raised to believe that crap, and so I feel like I've earned the right to criticize and ridicule. They certainly have no problem returning the favor. In fact, they've badgered and brain washed so many people into believing this crap that they've completely tied up the American political system, and convinced 45% of the American population that the earth is less than 10,000 years old.

My point is this: sure, I may be kind of a jerk when I say that god isn't real and we evolved from vaguely ape-like beings and that you should just get over it, but I don't know how else to handle it.  When someone tells me that "evolution is just a theory," or that we are "too complex to happen by chance," I want to punch them in their (easily) reducibly complex eye. I'm being kind by not doing so. Take that as a gesture of good will and deal with it.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

powered by performancing firefox

No comments: