Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ten best movies of 2006

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and I think I've decided what I feel were the best movies of 2006.



1: Children of Men

2: Pan's Labyrinth

3: The Departed

4: Little Miss Sunshine

5: Science of Sleep

6: The Proposition

7: Volver

8: Stranger than Fiction

9: The Descent

10: Prestige

That "Almost made it" spot: Babel



I haven't seen Little Children or The Last King of Scotland, both of which could thoretically make the list, but I figured I'd make it without them.



Obviously, a lot of people are going to disagree with this list, especially the inclusion of The Descent, Science of Sleep, and The Prestige, none of which are getting much awards chatter. But I stand by the list.



Some of it was difficult to come up with. Especially choosing between Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth, both of which are excellent movies.



I was a bit disappointed in Babel. It didn't have the emotional "oomph" Inarritu's work has had previously. However, I think re-watching it is in order to come up with a final verdict, because I went into it expecting the level of melodrama found in Amorres Perros and 21 Grams, but instead found a more emotionally distant, and possibly more mature, film.



I'll also mention that I was highly disappointed in Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain. I bring this up because I've been very excited about the film for a few years now, from back when it was announced as a three-hour epic with Brad Pitt and I anxiously awaited it making this list. But, alas, it is not nearly as good as it should have been and failed to make the cut.









Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

sacredchao said...

Glad to be of service!